During the 2017-2018 academic year, 3,310 students provided 114,651 hours of service in community agencies and schools throughout Santa Cruz, San Benito and Monterey counties. The monetary value of this service, calculated using the Independent Sector Value of Community and Volunteer Service, totals $3.3 million.Map of our community partners
Service Learning has a great impact on our students as well, helping them to become more socially responsible and engaged community members and graduates. Student evaluation of the service learning experience in 2017-2018 shows that:
- 99% of students feel that their attitude toward service has become more positive.
- 96% of students feel that they made a meaningful contribution to the community.
- 91% feel more motivated to listen to perspectives different from their own.
- 85% feel that they gained knowledge and skills to work with others to promote social justice.
- 85% feel that service learning provided opportunities to develop and practice knowledge and skills relevant to future career interests.
Download the Service Learning Quick Facts sheet below for more information: